This Weather Is Starting To Annoy Me

Monday, April 5, 2010

Sorry about the lack of contact yesterday, there is little to no service out along route 50 ("The Loneliest Road In America").  Yesterday we scrambled to get into the car to beat the crazy snow storm that was coming our way.  The idea was to get into the mountains and hop on the bike when I felt like we might be a bit away from it.  So, that's what happened.  Got on the bike a little ways outside of Fallon, NV, and rode through some of the nicest scenery I have ever seen all the way to Eureka, NV.  It has always been a dream of mine to be on one of those long, straight roads leading into the mountains; and that is exactly what I was on the entire time.  So cool.

The weather went through some crazy changes during the day.  I started off in full cold gear, shorts, wind tights,  then wind/rain pants, under armor shirt, biking jacket and wind/rain jacket.  As well as a full head warmer, gloves, thermal booties for my feet, and ski goggles.  About two hours into it, I took off the wind/rain gear, took off the head warmer and took off the gloves, and was still sweating like crazy.  Another hour into though, everything was back on and I was freezing.  I swore as I rode into Eureka, that I had frostbite on my feet. So cold.

Today, well, it's 20 degrees, and snowing.  Sweet!  But we are geting the picture from so many people we talk too, that these areas are right around the cusp of heavy and light precipitation.  This means we are just etting a little spill-over from the heavy stuff farther north.  So, the closer I can get to Utah, the farther I will get from this bad weather.  So, we will escape the worst of it, I'll hop back on the bike and ride to Ceder City, UT tonight.  That's the plan!

Been listening to Harry Potter, thinking about all sorts of things, and just fighting through the hours and weather.  I think once this become a bit more of a pattern, I will be able to settle into a posting schedule, and share some of the details of what I have been experiencing.

So expect so much more!

Josh Courage

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Josh glad to see you made it past that storm where we met you at the little general store in the middle of no where! Noticed you posted about the 15 car accident we were speaking about in there..... good luck on the rest of your journey and well check back on your blog periodicly.
cory

Josh Courage said...

Thanks Cory. Check out the latest post. Got a link up to you guys!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you thought to stock up on some audio books. I am all about those on long (or short) car trips, so I can only imagine how I would need them if I was biking like you. John Grisham and Jodi Piccoult are good at keeping your attention and making you want to know what happens next in case you need recommendations :)