Day 6 - Milford, UT to somewhere past Cedar City UT

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Yesterday I was able to get through most of the horrible weather and then hopped on the bike a little before Baker, NV to ride for a while across the Utah boarder and well into Utah.  We picked up and spent the night in Milford, a small town about 55 miles west of north west of Cedar City, where I am headed today.

Being out here really gives a new vie on what life is all about.  Riding along route 50 ("The Loneliest Road In America") I could go 40, 50, 60 miles without seeing any signs of life, except for some random fences, and this road.  I can not imagine what it must have took to build these roads, but it seems almost ridiculous that they were ever created.  Even more crazy to think about are the Pilgrims.  These people, with none of the technology I have with me, with none of the wonderful warm clothing I have with me, they just walked across all this.  I can not for the life of me imagine walking along some of these plains, towards the towering, snow-capped mountains.  It's tough to think anything exists over them, even with my maps and computers and all, it is a very intimidating sight.

What also blows my mind is the people who live out here.  The few I have talked to were incredibly kind, and I have nothing negative to say really; i just can not imagine living in such an area where there is nothing.  Absolutely nothing around you for miles and miles.  I personally have a desire to live like this, but in an area where there are laces to explore, in the mountains, woods, places like that.  There are trailers out here, small little houses, with a tree next to it, and then nothing, as far as the eye can see.  Imagine a life like that.  Most people reading this live in a grand house or apartment, have a car, a tv, a nice sofa and plenty of places to eat whatever food they like.  Out here, you have the land, you have a once a month, few hour drive to re-supply, you have a roof, and you have your mind.  That's about it.

These are just a couple, not-very-well-articulated thoughts that I have had.  I'll keep posting these as they spill out, there are tons!

A couple things that have been cool.  Met a couple nice guys when we got stuck before Lake Tahoe, they were traveling around snapping off pictures and videos. Really cool guys, and run this site:  www.lennonfilms.com.

Had to stop at the dentist yesterday because some serious tooth pain.  I thought I had cut my gum, but, with the help of two great ladies (the doc was out, at both dentists in town!), we found a wonderful piece of beef jerky stuck into my gum!  Gross.  But man does my mouth feel better.  Thank you Kathleen (she pulled the damn thing out, thanks for being my dentist!) and Gretchen (we got your name Gretchen!).

That's it for now, I am off!

1 comments:

Steel for Strength said...

Josh

What you are doing is awesome....will follow the journey...wish I was doing it with you.