Day 12 - Gunnison, CO to Salida, CO

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

So today was a short day.  And I mean that in terms of milage, not time.  I took off out of Gunnison without refilling my water (I expected to hit a gas station leaving town, and when I did not, I really didn't feel like turning around...).  So, it was 32 miles later, at the base of Monarch Mountain when I finally had my first sips of water.

I had some food as well and then took off for about a mile of gradual uphill.  Then it hit.  6% grade for 10 straight miles to a summet of 11,320 feet.  This climb got me big time.  There only a few viewpoints which meant I had nothing but asphalt and snow banks to look at while I climbed.  And boy did I climb.  The altitude started to get to me as well, and my head began to pound, but I kept on going.  It took me about 2.5 hours to get those ten miles, and I probably walked about a mile of it (generally when I get off the bike to rest, I just walk).

I peaked with a wheezing last push to the end and looked out over the snowy mountains.  It was a pretty cool sight, not quite Utah, but pretty damn cool for sure.  Then came the down.  10 miles of 6% grade down.  And I just flew!  With a pretty smooth length of road for 15 more miles into Salida, I stopped for a super late lunch, toying with the idea of calling it a day.  I came to the decision to shack up, and as I headed for the nearest hotel, a woman and her son called out to me if I needed a place to stay.  How cool!

I crashed at their house for the evening which was wonderful.  We stayed up a little late talking about all sorts of things, and I am sure this is yet another group of people I will be in touch with for a while.  Then it was up super early to head out to Pueblo.

Wait until you hear what happened...

0 comments: