Day 7 - Escalante, UT

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Yesterdays ride was a nice one.  The weather was cold, but very sunny, and that helped my moral a lot.  But the best part of the ride, by far, was the scenery.  I love rocks!  The landscape here in southern Utah is absolutely incredible, with towering rock formations, seemingly about to topple over at any moment.  This time of year adds a bit to it as well.  There is this wonderful contrast of so many colors and feels.  The red, grey, black of the rock, the green of the trees and newly growing grass, the white of the snow, and the sharp blue of the ski.  It all fits together and really just takes your breath away.

Today I set off on a steep climb, about 4500 feet up to a peak of a little over 10,000, then it's over 100 miles of fast, scenic downhill until I reach the Colorado River!  From there, well pick up and finish the day in Blanding, UT, the South East corner of Utah.

Until then folks...

Josh Courage

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, one week in! Congrats. How's the leg doing?

Anonymous said...

Hey Josh, just wanted to let you know I found out what you were up to through Blair Morrison's blog and I immediately checked out what you're doing. I am in absolute awe and a little green with envy that I am not able to follow your example at this time. I will be following you along your route in spirit since I cannot be there physically. I have never met you but I totally dig you, plus you're listening to Harry Potter, another reason to just assume you're totally cool! I also do road biking so I know how time can come to a standstill when you're in the saddle. Just wanted to give you a little encouragement and I will check in later.

Josh Courage said...

@Bill - the leg I hink is just going to keep nagging me. The joys of sitting on a tiny seat all day...oh well!

@Kelly - thanks for the post, little pick me ups like that are perfect! Any other suggestions for books, I will be running through them like crazy. I am already through four and am running low!!