Day 11 - Placerville, CO to Gunnison, CO

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Alright, this whole "people being awesome" thing is just getting pretty incredible.  Makes me realize how little respect I have for those people out there who choose to be mean.

Todays ride was brutal.  Physically, it was by far the hardest day.  The climbs were long and steep, the weather changes were drastic and the roads were long.  Out of Placerville, it was pretty smooth for a few miles, and then the long climbs began.  It was pretty gradual for a bit until I had a great, long downhill into Ridgeway.  This town was so great.  I really wish it was not Sunday and all the stores would have been open, but, it was quiet, clean, and surrounded by gorgeous views.  From there is was up and down into Montrose.  And then it was just brutally up hill.  To a point where my body was just screaming.  Then a short downhill, and right back up!

The tough part about these hills was that they were long switchback style.  So every time I thought they would flatten out, or that the pass was around the next bend, they just kept on climbing.  The first of the hills had me sweating so much, I was down to a sleeveless shirt and just bike shorts.  By the time I got to the second of those long ones, it was so cold I was back in my thermal pants, hat and thick gloves.  Crazy.  My legs were burning and my feet were cramping up something awful!

But all the pain was made up for completely and totally by the views and the people I met.

My energy levels were great right off the bat thanks to this house I was able to crash at (a picture of the house in in the last post).  Then, rolling into Ridgeway, I asked around as to where I might get some food.  I was directed to Kate's Place, a completely local food restaurant with a down-home feel to it.  The place was busy, but the food was perfect!  While I waited for my food, a nice guy sat down at my table and we talked biking for a bit.  When the check came, the server told me my meal had been taken care of!  So nice!  Outside, I got to talking with a large group of about 9 people.  We talked biking for a minute, but then the conversation moved to Vibram Five Fingers as one of them was wearing the great shoes.  They were all so supportive, it really boosted my moral as I started climbing.

In Montrose, I tried to visit CrossFit Agoge, but no one was around, so I started the first of the tough climbs.  A woman rode up next to me and proceeded to ride along with me for about 5 miles just talking about what inspires us.  It was so great to have someone with me as I rode, and she had some very rough times she was dealing with, and I was so happy to be able to inspire her a bit.  It's one of the main reasons I do this stuff after all.

Finally, I was coming down off the second major climb, it was freezing cold and the sun was going down.  My plan was to find an area to pitch the tent and crash, and just as I was coming up to what i thought a good area would be, a truck pulled over and asked if I needed any help.  The husband and wife had done a Colorado to Virginia ride a while back with their young daughter, and knew knew how rough they can be.  So they offered to drive me to Gunnison where I could get a hotel room.  We rode and chatted and I am so thankful they decided to stop and hel out.

So, siting here in a warm hotel room, fueled up and ready for sleep, I sit back and smile a bit at just how great people can truly be.  I can not put to words how good it makes me feel to run in to people wh are willing to help out without any need for anything in return.  Being a good person can be defined in so many ways, but in my mind, selflessly heling another person is just about as good as one can be.  For all the good I experience on this trip, even if I see nothing from here on out, I plan to pay forward tenfold.  It is a great reminder that there really is good out there.

Tomorrow I ride up to the highest peak of the entire trip, from just under 8000 where I am now, to about 11,500!

Do some good today people, help make someones day!

3 comments:

anywherefit said...

good stuff man, love reading about how your body is responding physically to the ride. you doing anything to aid recovery at night, special supplements, self-massage, ice baths?
sad the mountain section is almost over, i think it'll be the best part of the trip by far. keep it up bro, proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the climb tomorrow!

Unknown said...

Amazing stuff, wish I could be right there with you...cherish those days, as much as they hurt, way better than flat windy flattttttt days. Keep on inspiring all of us. Thanks -Kristian