What I'm Carrying

Friday, March 19, 2010

This post is all about what I'll have with me on a typical day as I ride.  Real quickly though, it looks like the first 8 days will be much lighter than originally planned.  This is so because Lindsey will be along, taking nice vacation and driving some 1200 miles while keeping tabs on your truly.  This helps me, not only for the moral support and such, but also for the fact that I can keep all my stuff in her car, rather than tow it along with me.  Oh, it also means I may not have to spend every night in a tent, perhaps a hotel a few of those nights may be in order.  Sweet.

I will have a couple water bottles on the bike, and a light backpack with some food, tubes and other basic bike needs with me for this stretch, but besides that I will be as light as I can be.  I would just keep everything with Lindsey, but I have no intentions or expectations of her just tailing me the entire time, that would be so boring.  So, as long as she can get to me within an hour, we'll be good to go.

But when she leaves, it's all on me.  And I will have my second tallest peak climb right at that point as well, at about 11,550 feet (can someone lend me an oxygen mask?  Actually, being kind of serious on this one).  So when all is hooked up, all is packed up, and I am riding along, here is what I will have:

Attached to my Cervelo S2 bike will be:





Handlebar Bag 

All maps
Electrolyte tablets
Bike tools
Wallet
ID and Money
Smaller extra batteries
Earphones and Bluetooth
Flip Video Camera
Digital Camera
Action Camera

Lighting + Other Bike Attachments
Flashing lights on front and rear
Bright light on front
Helmet light
4-5 lights on bike trailer
1 large water bottle (1 leter)
1 small water bottle (1/2 leter)
Bento Box (phone, iPod, inspirational picture)
Bike pump

Sattlebag
2 CO2 cartridges
1 tube
Extra tools
2-4 smaller meal bars

Osprey Backpack
Water bladder (2 leters)
6-10 packages of food (cliff roks, PaleoKits etc.)
Extra maps
Gloves
Hat
Extra shirt
Extra socks
Water filter
Sunglasses
Sunscreen
Bug repellant
Bandana
Knife
Flash light
Video Camera




BOB Bike Trailer

Tent
Sleeping bag
Towel
Toilettres kit
Camping Stove
Extra flame
Extra spark
Utensils
Tupperware
2 Gallon water jugs
6-10 MRE's (dehydrated meals)
4 cans Tuna
PaleoTreats
PaleoKits
Dried fruit
Raw Veggies
Bread
Oatmeal
Electrolyte powder
Protein powder
Extra food
Laptop computer
Extra batteries
All chords
4 tubes
CO2 cartridges
Extra tools
Bike locks

Extra Clothes (in the trailer)
2 long sleeve shirts
Bike jersey
Bike shorts
2 tights
Cold pants
1 booties (shoe covers)
1 helmet cover
4 socks
4 underwear
1 jacket
1 rain jacket
2 gloves
Face warmer
Goggles
2 shirts
1 shorts
1 pants
1 shoes
1 VFF's

So that's my list.  I am sure this will be changing practically every day, but this is what I have in terms of right now.  I'll have to weigh this before I head out, but I don't think I'll want to lose too much from this list, especially when I'm alone riding though Kansas (80+ miles of nothing, like, no houses, gas stations, rest stops...nothing).  Yeah, and I am open to suggestions here as well.

In one week I will be participating in the CrossFit Sectionals for my region, then, it's an early plane ride out to San Francisco.  I'll post even more details tomorrow!

Always dedicated to the journey,

Josh Courage


1 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm getting ready to make a ride from SD to Seattle this summer... I have a cervelo s2 as well... And I am wondering how the handlebar bag went for you???? If you could please send me an email with how well the bag worked for you and which one will fit an S2, my address is sarahsed16@yahoo.com.

You can also check out my blog at westcoastbikegirls.wordpress.com.

Thanks!
-Sarah